Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) Finch-Hatton – (Earl of Winchilsea and Nottingham). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, az. a chev. betw. three garbs or, for Hatton; 2nd and 3rd, ar. a. chev. betw. three grifllns pass. wings endorsed sa., for Finch. Crest—A pegasus courant ar. winged, maned, and hoofed or, ducally gorgeg of the last. Supporters—Dexter, a pegasus ar. wings, mane, and hoofs or, ducally gorged of the last; sinister, a griffin wings endorsed sa. ducally gorged or. Mottoes—Nil conscire sibi; and, Virtus tutissima cassis.
2) (Earl of Aylesford). Ar. a chev. betw. three griffins pass. sa. Crest—A griffin pass. sa. Supporters—Dexter, a griffin sa. ducally gorged or; sinister, a lion or, ducally gorged az. Motto—Aperto vivere voto.
3) (Lord Finch of Fordwich; created 1640, extinct 1660). Quarterly of 6, 1st, Finch, ar. a chev. betw. three griffins pass. sa.; 2nd, sa. a fesse betw. three pelicans vulning themselves or; 3rd, az. three eagles displ. in bend betw. two bendlets ar.; 4th, gu. a fesse chequy ar. and sa. betw. six crosses pattee fitchee ar.; 5th, gu. two bars erm.; 6th, or, two bendlets gu. Crest—A griffin, as in the arms. Supporters—Dexter, a pegasus ar. ducally gorged, wings down, the wings and collar or; sinister, a griffin sa. ducally gorged or, the wings down.
4) Ar. a chev. betw. three griffins segreant sa.
5) (Redheath, co. Herts). Ar. a fesse betw. three griffins pass sa. Crest—A griffin pass. sa. Motto—Nil conscire sibi.
6) (Ireland; Sir Theophilus Finch, knighted by the Earl of Essex, Lord Lieutenant, 30 July, 1599). Ar. a chev. engr. betw. three griffins pass. sa.; quartering, 1st, lozengy ar. and az.; 2nd, sa. three martlets ar.; and 3rd, ar. a saltire engr. betw. four martlets sa.
7) (certified by Preston, Ulster, 17 July, 1645, to Henry Finch, of St. John’s Parish, Dublin). Paly of six ar. and gu. on a chev. sa. three crescents of the first.
8) (Tullamore Park, co. Tipperary). Ar. a chev. az. betw. three griffins pass. gu. Crest—A griffin pass. az. Motto—Bono vince malum.
9) (Wynne-Finch, of Voelas, co. Denbigh). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, ar. a chev. betw. three griffins pass, sa., for Finch; 2nd and 3rd, gu. a lion ramp. ar., for Wynne. Crests—1st, Finch: A griffin pass, sa.; 2nd, Wynne: A lion ramp. ar. armed and langued gu. holding in the dexter paw a rose gu. slipped ppr. seeded or, barbed and leaved vert.