Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Lord Griffin of Broybroke; created 1688, extinct 1742). Sa. a griffin segreant ar. beak and forelegs or.
2) (Lord Braybrooke). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, sa. a griffin segreant ar. beaked and forclegged or, for Griffin; 2nd and 3rd, quarterly, 1st aud 4th, gu. on a saltire ar. a rose seeded and barbed ppr., for Neville, 2nd and 3rd, or, fretty sa. on a canton per pale erm. and gold, a galley with sails furled of the second, also for Neville. Badges: on the dexter a rose gu. seeded or, barbed vert, on the sinister a portcullis or. Crests—1st: A talbot’s head erased sa., for Griffin; 2nd: A hull ar. pied sa. armed gold, and charged on the neck with a rose gu. barbed and seeded ppr. Supporters—Two lions ramp. reguard. ar. maned and tufted sa. gorged with a chaplet of laurel vert. Motto—Ne vile velis.
3) (Bartherton, co. Chester). Ar. two bars gu. a griffin segreant sa.
4) (London; one of the six clerks of the Court of Chancery). Sa. a chev. betw. three fleurs-de-lis ar. Crest—Out of a ducal crown or, a demi griffin erm. membered or.
5) or Griffith (co. Stafford). Gu. on a fesse dancettee betw. three griffins segreant or, as many martlets sa. Crest—A woman’s head couped at the breast ppr. hair flotant or.
6) (cos. Stafford and Suffolk). Gu. on a fesse dancettee ar. betw. six lions pass. or, three martlets sa.
7) (Penrith, Wales). Gu. on a fesse betw. three lozenges or, each charged with a fleur-de-lis of the first, a demi rose betw. two griffins segreant of the field.
8) (co. York). Erm. a bend gu. cotised or.
9) Gu. three griffins’ heads, two in chief couped ar. and one in base erased or.
10) Gu. a lion ramp. or, within a bordure invecked ar.
11) Az. three eagles displ . or.
12) (Violet Hill, Bray, co. Wicklow; confirmed to Edward Lysaght Griffin, Esq., Barrister-at-Law, second son of the late Right Rev. Henry Griffin, D.D., Bishop of Limerick, by Jane Eyre, his wife, dau. and co-heiress of Edward Lysaght, Barrister-at-law). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, ar. on a chev. betw. three bucks’ heads erased gu. an annulet betw. two fleurs-de-lis or, for Griffin; 2nd and 3rd, ar. three spears erect in fess gu. on a chief az. a lion pass. guard. or, a crescent for diff., for Lysaght. Crest—A demi griffin sergeant ar. charged on the shoulder with a fleur-de-lis az. Motto—Fide et fortitudine.
13) (Reg. Ulster’s Office). Gu. three escallops ar. in chief three piles of the last.
14) Per pale or and sa. a chev. betw. six martlets all counterchanged.
15) Sable a griffin, segreant, or.
16) (Prince of North Wales) Gules three lions passant, guardant, argent. (Source: Siddon’s Welsh Heraldry).