Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Tichmarsh, co. Northampton, bart.; Gilbert Pickering, Esq., purchased the manor of Tichmarsh, temp. Queen Elizabeth, from William, Earl of Worcester; Gilbert Pickering, son of John Pickering, Esq., of Gretton, and grandson by Margaret, his wife, dau. and heir of Lascells, of Escrick, co. York, of James Pickering, of Winderwath, co. Westmorland, waa great-grandfather of Sir Gilbert Pickering, of Tichmarsh, created a Baronet of Nova Scotia; Sir Edward Pickering, of Duncannon Fort, co. Wexford, the last who bore the title, m. 1770, Elizabeth, dau. of George Glascott, Esq., of Aldertown, but d. s. p. 1803). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, erm. a lion ramp. az. crowned or, for Pickering; 2nd and 3rd, ar. three chaplets gu., for Lascells. Crest—A lion’s gamb erect and erased az. armed or.
2) (Old Lodge and Clapham, co. Surrey; borne by Edward Rowland Pickering, Esq., of Old Lodge, son of Edward Lake Pickering, Esq., of the Exchequer Office, Temple, by Mary, his wife, only dau. and heir of William Umfreville, Esq.). (Paxton, co. Huntingdon). (Whaddon, co. Cambridge, bart., extinct 1705; Sir Henry Pickering purchased the manor of Whaddon in 1648, and was created a baronet 2 Jan. 1660-1). Erm. a lion ramp. az. armed gu. crowned or. Crest—A lion’s gamb erect and erased az.
3) (Tablehurst and East Grinstead, co. Susiex). Same Arms and Crest, a crescent on a crescent for diff.
4) (Wallford, co. Chester). Erm. a lion ramp. az. crowned or, on a bordure of the second eight plates. Crest—A lion’s gamb erect and erased az. enfiled with a ducal coronet or.
5) (co. Nottingham). Gu. on a chev. ar. betw. three fleurs-de-lis or, aa many hurts. Crest—A leopard’s head couped or, semée of hurts.
6) (cos. Chester and York). Gu. a fesse ar. fretty az. betw. six annulets or.
7) (Alkmonberry, co. Huntingdon). Gu. a pike or lucie naiant in fesse betw. three annulets ar.
8) (co. Northampton). Or, a fesse per fesse crenellée gu. and az. betw. three cocks’ heads erased vert, combed and wattled of the second.
9) (cos. Nottingham and York). Gu. on a chev. ar. betw. three fleurs-de-lis or, as many pellets (another, hurts). Crest—A leopard’s face or.
10) (Thorpe’s Lodge, co. York). Erm. a lion ramp. az. crowned or. Crest—A lion’s gamb erased and erect az. armed or.
11) Or (another, ar.) a lion ramp. sa. a bordure gu. bezantee.
12) (Threlkeld, co. Cumberland). Erm. a lion ramp. az.
13) (Hartford, co. Chester). Erm. a lion ramp. az. ducally crowned or. Crest—A demi griffin sa. beaked and membered ar. grasping a wheatsheaf or.
14) (Coram, in Coverdale, co. York). Gu. on a chev. betw. three fleurs-de-lis or, as many annulets sa. Crest—A lion’s gamb erect and erased az.
15) Ar. a lion ramp. az. ducally crowned or. Crest—A sword erect ppr. hilt and pommel or, within two branches of laurel disposed in orle vert.
16) Gu. a fess ar. betw. six annulets or (another adds, on the fesse a pellet).
17) Chequy ar. and gu. a bend sa.