blood drop

The gutte or goutte is an elongated tear-drop shape with wavy sides and usually appears in large number spread evenly across the field. A Glossary of Terms used in British Heraldry, J.H. Parker, Oxford, 1894, Entry:Gouttes Some frequently do they occur that special names have arisen for the various colours, guttee de sang being gules (or red) for its obvious resemblence to split blood.