Cavendish Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Cavendish-Overhall, co. Suffolk). Sa. three bucks’ heads cabossed ar.
2) (Duke of Devonshire). Sa. three bucks’ heads cabossed ar. Crest—A serpent nowed ppr. Supporters— Two bucks ppr. each wreathed round the neck with a chaplet of roses alternately ar. and az. Motto—Cavendo tutus.
3) (Duke of Newcastle, William Cavendish, nephew of the 1st Earl of Devonshire, was so created 1664, extinct 1691). Same Arms as the Duke of Devonshire, with a crescent for diff. Crest—A serpent nowed ppr. Supporters —Dexter, a bull or, ducally crowned gu.; sinister, a lion ramp. guard. gu. crined and ducally crowned or. Motto—Cavendo tutus.
4) (Baron Chesham). Arms, Crest, and Motto—Same as Duke of Devonshire. Supporters—Dexter, a buck ppr. gorged with a chaplet of roses ar. and az.; sinister, a greyhound ar. gorged with a plain collar gu. thereon three buckles or.
5) (Baron Waterpark). (Chyknell, co. Salop). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, sa. three bucks’ heads cabossed ar. attired or, within a bordure of the second, for Cavendish; 2nd and 3rd, ar. two bendlets, the upper sa., the lower gu., for Bradshaw. Crest—On a ducal coronet or, a snake nowed ppr. Supporters—Two stags, the dexter per fesse indented gu. and sa., the sinister ppr. gorged with a chaplet of roses alternately ar. and az. both attired and unguled, or. Motto—Cavendo tutus.
6) (Grimstead, co. Sussex). Ar. three piles wavy gu. the middle one reversed. Crest—A wolf’s head or, collared gu.
7) (Andrew Cavendish, Sheriff of Norfolk, 1384). Sa. three crosses botonee fitchee or, two and one.