Cotes Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Woodcote, co. Salop; possessed of considerable estates on the confines of the counties of Salop and Stafford from a very remote period; the name is derived from the hamlet of Cotes, in Staffordshire, two parts of a knight’s fee in which was held by Thomas de Cotes in 1167, when the Black Book of the Exchequer was compiled, and which is still held by the family). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, erm., 2nd and 3rd, paly of six or and gu. Crest—A cock ppr. combed, wattled, and legged or.
2) (Hanslope, co. Buckingham, born 18 Edward III.). (Elson, co. Leicester, and Withington, co. Stafford. Visit. Leicester, 1609). Ar. fretty az. on a canton sa. a lion ramp. or. Crest—A cock or, combed and wattled gu.
3) (Lord Mayor of London, 1542). Per pale or and az. two dolphins erect counterchanged on a chief gu. a covered cup. betw. as many dovecots of the first.
4) (co. Buckingham). Per pale gu. and az. two dolphins hauriant endorsed ar. on a chief or, a covered cup betw as many dovecots of the first.
5) Ar. a cross moline engr. sa.
6) Erm. on a fesse sa. three escallops or.
7) Gu. a fesse betw. three escallops or.