Fonseca Coat of Arms
Click below to change main image
Which coat of arms or "family crest" is mine?
Choose the design you like best, just your ancestors did when they painted these symbols on the shields they carried into battle and displayed in their homes. These coats of arms are real, historical works of art/culture dating back as far as 1100AD. Most of these designs were compiled and documented by genealogists and heraldists in large books published in the nineteenth century. These arms were owned by individuals who bore your surname, and were passed down through the generations from father to son, earning the monicker "family crest".
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) Fonseca - or Fonsecca - Rome - De gueules à cinq étoiles d'or 2 1 et 2. English: Gules with five etoiles or 2 1 and 2.
2) Fonseca - Comtes de Villanueva de Cañedo - Castille - (Comtes, 1615) - D'or à cinq étoiles (8) de gueules. English: Or with five etoiles of 8 points gules.
3) Fonseca - Fonseca (da) et Diaz da Fonseca - Amsterdam - Orig. d'Espagne - D'azur à cinq étoiles d'or 2 1 et 2. English: Azure with five etoiles or 2 1 and 2.
4) Fonseca - Fonseca (de) - Brabant - (Barons, 1 nov. 1713; comtes, 24 déc. 1731) - D'or à cinq étoiles (8) de gueules Supports deux griffons regardants d'or armés et lampassés de gueules. English: Or with five etoiles of 8 points gules Supporters two griffins reguardant or armed and langued gules.
5) Fonseca - Fonseca di Venezia - Agostino ed Antonio di Giovanni partiti dalla Spagna nel 1634 si stabilirono con preziosi capitali a Venezia, ove il primo ebbe il titolo di marchese. Ottennero inoltre il patriziato Veneto nel 1664 - D'oro, a cinque stelle di sei raggi di rosso. English: Or 5 etoiles of 6 [rays] gules.
6) Fonsecha - Fonsecha ou Fonseca - Venise - (An., 1664) - D'or à cinq étoiles (6) de gueules. English: Or with five etoiles of 6 points gules.
7) Fonsèque - Fonsèque de Surgères - Espagne, Saintonge - Écartelé aux 1 et 4 d'or à cinq étoiles (6) de gueules aux 2 et 3 de gueules au lion d'or couronné du même. English: Quarterly 1st and 4th or with five etoiles of 6 points gules 2nd and 3rd gules of lion or crowned of the same.
8) Fonsecca - Fonseca di Roma - Di rosso, a cinque stelle d' oro 2, 1 e 2. English: Gules 5 etoiles or 2, 1 and 2.
Origin, Meaning and Family History of the Fonseca Name
This is primarily a Portuguese and Galician surname habitational name that denoted a person who lived near a spring that dried up during the warmer months, deriving from the words fonte seca, meaning “dry well”.
Fonseca Coat of Arms Meaning
The main heraldic symbol in the Foncesa Coat of Arms (erroneously called the Fonseca Family Crest) is the estoile. There were of course many widely recognised symbols that existed long before the advent of heraldry and it should be no surprise that some of these were adopted as charge in coats of arms. The estoile is a typical example, reflecting the stars in the sky and represented with six wavy points, often with a little shading to give it some depth. The ancient writer Guillim assigns these symbols as the emblems of God’s goodness”. The main tinctures (colors) used within the arms are Gules (red) and Or (yellow). The former signifies military strength and magnaimity, whereas the later signifies wisdom, faith, and generosity.