Lightbody Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Lightbody Coat of Arms Gallery
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
Origins of Lightbody:
It is an Anglo-Scottish old surname. There are two possible sources, and over the centuries the two have often become combined in spelling. Originally, if English it is or rather was, perhaps a nickname, one which on the face of it, mentioned a small person, one who was ‘lyt,’ which means little, small. However, given the robust nature of those times, anything is possible, and our current theory is to suggest that like the popular outlaw Little John or John Little, this surname related to an especially large person. However, unless one showed when the name was first ‘given,’ it is almost impossible after some six hundred years and more, to say for real what it meant.
More common variations are: Leightbody, Lightybody, Lightboddy, Lightbady.
The surname Lightbody first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very early times.
Many of the people with surname Lightbody had moved to Ireland during the 17th century.
United States of America:
Some of the individuals with the name Lightbody who arrived in the United States in the 18th century included Elizabeth Lightbody, who came to America in 1775. Lightbody Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century. James Lightbody at the age of 37, landed in New York in the year 1812. John Lightbody, who was on record in Jamaica in the year 1825. Thomas Lightbody, who arrived in Philadelphia in the year 1829.
Some of the people with the surname Lightbody who came to Canada in the 19th century included James Lightbody, his wife, and two sons, who settled in Quebec in 1820. James Lightbody, who arrived in Canada in 1820.
Here is the population distribution of the last name Lightbody: United States 1,143; England 613; Scotland 453; South Africa 420; Australia 344; Canada 266; Jamaica 107; Wales 68; Northern Ireland 60; New Zealand 28
Gary Lightbody was born in June 1976. He is a multi-instrumentalist, musician, and composer from Northern Ireland famous as the lead musician and rhythm guitarist of the alternative rock band Snow Patrol.
James Davies “Jim” Lightbody (March 1882 – March 1953) was an American middle distance runner, winner of six Olympic medals (two of which are no longer recognized by the International Olympic Committee following its downgrading of the 1906 Games) in the early 20th century. He was born in Pittsburgh and got a B.A degree from the collrge in Muncie, Indiana, he had great success at the 1904 Summer Olympics, held in St. Louis. He was not chosen in any of the three individual events in which he played, but won all three of them.
Robert Lightbody (1802 –July 1874) was an independent nobleman, amateur geologist, and representative of Ludlow Natural History Society. He was born in Liverpool in the year 1802. His parents, John Lightbody and Harriet Hughes, were non-conformists and part of the Unitarian parish. In 1829, he still had a connection with the Liverpool area when he joined as a clerk to George Ashby Pritt, Liverpool attorney. In 1840, he married Jane Peele in Shrewsbury, and by 1841 he migrated to Llanllwchaiarn in Wales. During his time in Wales, at least four of his six children were born, and he was a significant landholder. In 1852, after a short return to the Liverpool area, he traveled to Castle Square House, Ludlow, the actual residential property which he finally bought and settled in with his family until his death.
Hannah Greg (née Lightbody) (1766–1834) was the daughter of a wealthy Unitarian Liverpool trader, Adam Lightbody (1729–1778) and Elizabeth Tylston (1735–1801). She was the youngest of 3 sisters. After an education in a regular day school in Stoke Newington, she came back to Liverpool and married Samuel Greg in 1789, including the Presbyterian to her Unitarian faith, Cross Street Church, and the powerful network Manchester and Liverpool dealing and banking families. Samuel Greg was the owner of Quarry Bank Mill in Styal (built 1784).
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Glasgow, 1786). Motto—Clarior e tenebris. Az. on a pale or, betw. two mullets in chief and as many crescents in base ar. a lion ramp. gu. Crest—A star issuant from a cloud ppr.
2) (Liverpool, 1767). Motto—Clarior e tenebris. Az. on a pale engr. or, betw. two mullets in chief of the second and as many crescents in base ar. a lion ramp. gu. Crest—A star issuing from a cloud ppr.