Lowndes Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Lowndes Coat of Arms Gallery
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Hassall Hall, co. Chester). Ar. fretty az. on a canton gu. a lion’s head erased or. Crest—A lion’s head erased or.
2) (co. Oxford; originally from co. Chester; settled at Winslow, co. Bucks, early in the 15th century. William Lowndes, Esq., of Winslow, Secretary of the Treasury, and Chairman of the Committee of Ways and Means, temp. Queen Anne and George I., obtained a confirmation of his armorial ensigns in 1704; he was ancestor of Lowndes, of Chesham, Whaddon Hall, and Astwood, co. Buckingham, of Brightwell, co. Oxford, and of Rose Hill, Dorking, co. Surrey). Ar. fretty az. the interlacings each charged with a. bezant, on a canton gu. a leopard’s head erased at the neck or. Crest—A leopard’s head, as in the arms, gorged with a laurel branch ppr.
3) (Barrington Hall, co. Essex). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Lowndes, ar. fretty az. on a canton sa. a lion’s head erased or; 2nd and 3rd, Clayton, ar. a cross engr. sa. betw. four torteaux. Crests—1st, Lowndes: A lion’s head erased or; 2nd, Clatton: A dexter arm embowed, the hand grasping a dagger, the point to the dexter all ar.
4) (Lostock Hall, co. Lancaster). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Lowndes, ar. fretty az. a canton gu. thereon a lion’s head erased or; 2nd and 3rd, Clatton. Crest of Lowndes—A lion’s head erased or, gorged with a wreath of laurel vert, and the crest of Clayton.
5) (Stone-Lowndes, Brightwell Park, co. Oxford). Ar. fretty az. on a canton gu. a lion’s head erased or, quartering Stone, viz., Ar. three cinquefoils in a chief of the second. Crest—A lion’s head erased or, gorged with a chaplet vert. Motto—Mediocria firma.
6) (Mordon, co. Surrey). Or, two lions pass. in pale betw. three crosses crosslet fitchée sa. a canton gu. for diff. Crest—A goat ar. armed, hoofed, collared, and line reflexed over the back or, charged on the shoulder with a rose gu. for diff.
7) (Jekesford, co. Cambridge). Per chev. flory counterflory or and gu. three lions pass. counterchanged. Crest—On a mount vert a griffin sejant, wings endorsed or.
8) (cos. Sussex and York). Az. a fret ar. Crestt—A hind reguard. ppr. collared gu. resting the dexter paw on a beehive ppr.
9) (co. Lincoln; granted 1596). Same Arms, a bordure or. Crest—Out of a ducal coronet or, a hawk close gold, beaked and legged ar.