Churchill Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (settled in cos. Devon, Somerset, and Dorset, during the reigns of King John, Henry III., and Edward I. Visit, co. Devon, 1620). (Churchill, co. Dorset, descended from co. Devon; Sir John Churchill, knighted at Whitehall, 12 Aug. 1670. Visit. Dorset by Sir Edward Bysse; Le Neve’s Knights). Sa. a lion ramp. ar. debruised with a bendlet gu.
2) (Spencer-Churchill, Duke of Marlborough). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, sa. a lion ramp. ar. on a canton of the last a cross gu., for Churchill; 2nd and 3rd, quarterly ar. and gu., in the second and third quarters a fret or, over all on a bend sa. three escallops of the first, for Spencer; and, as an honourable augmentation, in chief an escutcheon ar. charged with the cross of St. George gu. and thereon an escutcheon of the arms of France: viz., az. three fleurs-de-lis or; the whole arms borne upon an imperial eagle, as a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire; above the arms a princely coronet. Crest, of Churchill—A lion couchant guard, ar. supporting with the dexter paw a banner gu. charged with a dexter hand apaumee of the first, stair or. Crest, of Spencer—Out of a ducal or, a griffin’s head betw. two wings expanded ar. gorged with a bar gemelle, and armed gu. Supporters— Dexter, a griffin per fesse ar. and or; sinister, a wyvern ar. wings expanded, both collared and chained sa. each collar charged with three escallops, also ar. Supporters (borne by the present Duke)—Two wyverns gu. Motto—Fiel pero desdichado.
3) (Churchill-Henbury, co. Dorset, and Somersetshire). Sa. a lion ramp. ar. debruised with a bendlet gu. Crest—Out of a ducal coronet or, a demi lion ramp. ar.
4) Sa. a lion ramp. ar. on a canton of the second a cross gu. Crest—A lion couchant guard, ar. holding a banner of the last charged with a hand erect gu.
5) (Colleton, and Alderholt Park). Sa. a lion ramp. ar. debruised with a bendlet gu. Crest—A demi lion ramp. ar. issuant out of a ducal coronet or.
6) (granted to Chatham Horace Churchill, Colonel in the army). Sa. a lion ramp. ar. holding betw. the paws a mural crown or, a canton erm. thereon pendent by a ribband gu. fimbriated az. a representation of the silver medal presented to the said Chatham Horace Churchill, for his services at the Battle of Waterloo, subinscribed Waterloo, in letters sa. Crest—A lion couchant guard, ar. holding a flag-staff erect, entwined with a branch of laurel ppr. flowing from the staff to the sinister a banner swallow-tailed gu. charged with an Eastern crown or.