Blazons & Genealogy Notes1) (a Sept descended from Conghaile, Chief of Magh O'gCoinchinn, now Mugunihy, a territory forming the eastern portion of the co. Kerry. The O'Donoghoes, shortly before the Norman Conquest, invaded this territory, and drove the O'Connells out of Mugunihy westward into Iveragh, where they settled at Ballycarbery as Castellans to MacCarthy More. The Chief of this Sept was transplanted by Oliver Cromwell to Brenter, near Callan Hill, co. Clare). (Ballyhean Lodge, co. Clare; descended from John O'Connell, Esq., of Greenagh, brother of the late Daniel O’Connell, Esq., M.P., of Darrinane Abbey; his eldest son, Morgan John O'Connell, M.P., m., 1865, Mary Anne, only dau. of Charles Bianconi, Esq., of Longfield, co. Tipperary, and d. 1875, leaving an only son, John Charles Coppinger O’Connell. See MacMahon.). (Lake View, co. Kerry, bart.; descended from Sir James O’Connell, created a bart., 1869, brother of the late Daniel O'Connell, Esq., M.P., of Darrinane Abbey). Per fess ar. and vert a stag trippant ppr. betw. three trefoils slipped counterchanged.
2) (Darrinane Abbey, co. Kerry; descended from Daniel O'Connell, Esq., of Aghavore, in the Barony of Iveragh; Daniel O'Connell. of Darrinane Abbey, Q.C, M.P., who d. at Genoa, 1847, is represented by his grandson, Daniel O'Connell, Esq., of Darrinane Abbey, J. P., D.L.). Same Arms. Crest—A stag's head erased ar. charged with a trefoil slipped vert. Motto—Ciall agus neart.
3) (Castle Connell, co. Limerick; allowed by Hawkins, Ulster, 1755, to James O’Connell, son of Michael O’Connell, of London, and grandson of Hugh O'Connell, Captain of Horse to James II. Same Arms. Crest—A stag’s head erased ppr. Motto—Victor in arduis.
4) Ar. a lion ramp. sa. holding in the dexter par a trefoil slipped vert, on a chief az. three mullets or. Crest—A buck statant ppr.
5) or Connel - (Ireland). Ar. a chev. betw. three spurs az. Crest—Out of a tower a demi griffin segreant ppr.
6) (Ashtown, co. Dublin, granted 1688 to John Connell, Esq., Seneschal to the Duke of Ormonde). Per fess ar. and vert a stag trippant ppr. betw. three trefoils slipped counterchanged. Crest—A stag’s head erased ar. charged on the neck with a trefoil slipped vert.
7) or Connely - Ar. a chev. gu. betw. two spurs in chief, and a battle-axe in base az. shaft or. Crest—A bee erect ppr. Motto—Non sibi.