Origin, Meaning and Family History of the Emery Name
Emery is a Germanic name originally meaning, one who is an industrious, or a powerful worker. After the name was introduced to the Frankish Empire under Charlemagne the spelling evolved to Emery. It is one of the Norman-French names which crossed the channel with William the Conqueror. Because of its Germanic roots, it made an easy translation into the Anglo-Saxon culture the Normans ruled over, therefore there is little derivative changes in the name, Amory, Emmory, Elmwy, Emory and Emery are all variations which fall into the changing times of the Conquest. Elmwy appears in the names listed in the Doomsday Book, a comprehensive listing of all persons, personages and properties within England who might be taxed by their new Norman lords.
The name appears in Essex, Somerset, and Kent. With the earliest appearance listed as Elmwy the Reeve, in the border region between Oxfordshire and Berkshire at roughly 1086 through 1087, roughly twenty years after the invasion. A Reeve, in the time of the Norman conquest became one of the first examples of an estate manager, and adjudicator of all day-to-day operations of a lord’s holdings. He oversaw the serfs and their efforts along with collecting tithes, taxes and settling of disputes which did not involve a capital offense such as poaching.
It is reported in 1389 the Emmory family had settled in a location which would be later called Emmory Down. It is a small village set on the edge of the New Forest. The New Forest was a series of lands which William the Conqueror had cleared of human habitation and joined together into one tract of land in 1170, so he and his heirs would have a royal hunting grounds. It was at one time the single largest tract of continuous land within England. The majority of which still stands today and is still owned by the British Crown. Emmory Down is also notable in the literary world for being the location where the research and basic outline for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s White Company, was written. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spent almost a year living in the district while he wrote his medieval adventure novel.
The first recorded Emery family members to land in the Americas, were brothers Anthony, and John Emery, with Anthony’s son James Emery accompanying them. The family left their Romesy, Hampshire England home and in 1635 they traveled to Wiltshire; then with roughly a hundred other English settlers sailed upon the named the James bound for Massachusetts. The Newbury settlement or plantation, was a commercial venture, as at the time of its founding Europe was coming out of the religious wars of the 17th century which had decimated the population, and trade for commodities was at an all time high. England was in short supply of all things agricultural to feed their growing cities such as London. Fish, Wool, Beef were all highly prized not to mention wood like white pine, and oak needed to build ships for merchants and the growing English navy.
Within a year of its founding, over fifteen ships had landed at Newbury and large herds of imported beef were being raised. The plantation was soon a commercial success. Anthony and James Emery both carpenters moved north to New Hampshire and later relocated just across the border to Kittery Maine which sits on the estuary of where the Pisaquata River meets the Atlantic Ocean. Shortly after Kittery was founded turned into a major ship building port. John Emery remained in Newbury.
In 1875 The Utah territory saw another Emery emerge from New England. George W. Emery of Penobscot, Maine was appointed territorial governor. He had a successful and conciliatory administration, and he built firm and lasting relationships with the settlers in the region. Emery County and the town of Emery, Utah are both named after him.
Emery South Dakota was named after local rancher and farmer S. M. Emery who allowed the city plotted map to be nailed to one of his trees for citizens to look at and use a a guide to purchasing building lots.
In the far flung Emery diaspora the variant of the name Emory has probably become the most famous. Of its most illustrious past members is the Reverend John Emory (1789-1835) a Methodist minister and later Bishop within the Methodist Church, Emory College was created in his name shortly after he died in a tragic carriage accident in 1835. Emory College became Emory University in 1915 and is one of the oldest universities in the country.
Another Emory of interest was Major General Emory a noted cartographer before the American Civil War. He was the definitive surveyor and map maker who surveyed the Gadsden Purchase and the Texas border with Mexico. Special Forces training facility , Fort Emory was named for General Emory as well as Emory Peak in the Big Bend National Park, Texas and in honor of his cartographic skills, Emory Crater on the Moon was named after him by the crew of Apollo 17.
Emery Coat of Arms Meaning
The three main devices (symbols) in the Emery blazon are the bar nebulee, torteaux and horse. The three main tinctures (colors) are or, gules and argent .
The bright yellow colour frequently found in coats of arms is known to heralds as Or, or sometimes simply as Gold.. Along with, argent, or silver it forms the two “metals” of heraldry – one of the guidelines of heraldic design is that silver objects should not be placed upon gold fields and vice versa . The yellow colour is often associated with the Sun, and the zodiacal sign of Leo..
The bold red colour on a heraldic shield is known as gules. It has a long history within heraldry, it is known that one of those who besieged the scottish castle of Carlaverock in 1300 was the French knight Euremions de la Brette who had as his arms a simple red shield.. The word gules is thought to come from the Arabic gule, or “red rose” . Later writers associated it with the precious stone ruby and the metal iron , perhaps because of the red glow of iron in the heat of the blacksmith’s forge.
Argent is the heraldic metal Silver and is usually shown as very pure white. It is also known more poetically as pearl, moon (or luna) . In a sketch or drawing it is represented by plain, unmarked paper .
The bar is a thin, horizontal stripe across the centre of the shield, usually in groups of two or three (any more and there would be confusion with barry, a treatment of horizontal lines of alternating colours). It is also possible to place decorative edges along bars, typically these are smaller than those found on the major ordinaries like the fess and pale, but have the same design and share the same meanings. Nebulee (sometimes nebuly is a very pleasing pattern of interlocking curves, the name refers to “clouds” as it is reminscent of their soft abstract edges.
For easy recognition of the items on a coat of arms, and hence the quick identification of the owner, bold simple shapes are best. Hence, simple geometric shapes are often used for this purpose One of the simplest such shapes is the plain circle, known to heralds as the roundle. So popular is this charge that a shorthand has arisen for roundles of a particular colour and torteau is a roundle gules, or red. (We must be careful however not to confuse this with the word in French heraldry, in which torteau means roundle and must have the colour specified.) Most authorities agree that the English usage signifies the “Manchet cake” or communion wafer and thus is a symbol of religious allegiance.
In the mediaeval period there was no real percieved difference between real and mythical animals, after all, much of the world remained unknown and who was to say what strange and magical creatures existed in distant lands? Nevertheless, real animals are perhaps one of the most common sights on coats of arms, especially animals of European origin. The horse Is a typical example of these.