Fane Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Fane Coat of Arms Gallery
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Earl of Westmorland). Motto—Ne vile fano. (Wormsley, co. Oxford, a branch of the noble house of Westmorland; descended from Henry Fane, Esq., brother of the eighth Earl, by Charlotte, his wife, dau. and co-heir of Richard Luther, Esq., of Myles’s, co. Essex). Az. three dexter gauntlets, backs affrontee or. Crest—Out of a ducal coronet or, a bull’s head ar. pied sa. armed of the first, charged on the neck with a rose gu. barbed and seeded ppr. Supporters—Dexter, a griffin per fesse ar. and or, gorged with a plain collar and lined sa.; sinister, a bull ar. pied sa. collared and lined or, at the end of a line a ring and three staples of the last.
2) (Viscount Fane; created 1718, extinct 1766). Same Arms and Crest. Supporters—Two leopards guard, ppr. collared or.
3) (Fulbeck, co. Lincoln). Same Arms. Crest—A gauntlet or, holding a sword ppr. hilt and pommel gold.
4) (Hamlyn-Fane, Clovelly Court, co. Devon, borne by Nevile Hamlin Batson Fane, son of Col. Henry Edward Hamlyn-Fane, by Susan Hester, his wife, dau. of Sir James Hamlyn-Williams, last bart. of Clovelly). Motto over—Pro rege, lege, grege. Az. three dexter gauntlets, backs affrontee or. Crest—Out of a ducal coronet or, a bull’s head ar. pied sa. armed of the first, charged on the neck with a rose gu. barbed and seeded ppr.
5) (Ponsonby-Fane, Brympton Park, co. Somerset; as exemplified to the Hon. Spencer Ponsonby, C.B., on his assuming, by royal licence, the surname and arms of Fane). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, az. three dexter gauntlets or, for Fane; 2nd and 3rd, gu. a chev. betw. three combs ar., for Ponsonby. Crests—1st, Fane: Out of a ducal coronet or, a pied bull’s head ppr. charged on the neck with a rose gu. Motto over—Ne vile fano. 2nd, Ponsonby: On a ducal coronet az. three arrows, one in pale and two in saltire, points downwards, entwined with a snake ppr.