Finch Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) Finch-Hatton – (Earl of Winchilsea and Nottingham). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, az. a chev. betw. three garbs or, for Hatton; 2nd and 3rd, ar. a. chev. betw. three grifllns pass. wings endorsed sa., for Finch. Crest—A pegasus courant ar. winged, maned, and hoofed or, ducally gorgeg of the last. Supporters—Dexter, a pegasus ar. wings, mane, and hoofs or, ducally gorged of the last; sinister, a griffin wings endorsed sa. ducally gorged or. Mottoes—Nil conscire sibi; and, Virtus tutissima cassis.
2) (Earl of Aylesford). Ar. a chev. betw. three griffins pass. sa. Crest—A griffin pass. sa. Supporters—Dexter, a griffin sa. ducally gorged or; sinister, a lion or, ducally gorged az. Motto—Aperto vivere voto.
3) (Lord Finch of Fordwich; created 1640, extinct 1660). Quarterly of 6, 1st, Finch, ar. a chev. betw. three griffins pass. sa.; 2nd, sa. a fesse betw. three pelicans vulning themselves or; 3rd, az. three eagles displ. in bend betw. two bendlets ar.; 4th, gu. a fesse chequy ar. and sa. betw. six crosses pattee fitchee ar.; 5th, gu. two bars erm.; 6th, or, two bendlets gu. Crest—A griffin, as in the arms. Supporters—Dexter, a pegasus ar. ducally gorged, wings down, the wings and collar or; sinister, a griffin sa. ducally gorged or, the wings down.
4) Ar. a chev. betw. three griffins segreant sa.
5) (Redheath, co. Herts). Ar. a fesse betw. three griffins pass sa. Crest—A griffin pass. sa. Motto—Nil conscire sibi.
6) (Ireland; Sir Theophilus Finch, knighted by the Earl of Essex, Lord Lieutenant, 30 July, 1599). Ar. a chev. engr. betw. three griffins pass. sa.; quartering, 1st, lozengy ar. and az.; 2nd, sa. three martlets ar.; and 3rd, ar. a saltire engr. betw. four martlets sa.
7) (certified by Preston, Ulster, 17 July, 1645, to Henry Finch, of St. John’s Parish, Dublin). Paly of six ar. and gu. on a chev. sa. three crescents of the first.
8) (Tullamore Park, co. Tipperary). Ar. a chev. az. betw. three griffins pass. gu. Crest—A griffin pass. az. Motto—Bono vince malum.
9) (Wynne-Finch, of Voelas, co. Denbigh). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, ar. a chev. betw. three griffins pass, sa., for Finch; 2nd and 3rd, gu. a lion ramp. ar., for Wynne. Crests—1st, Finch: A griffin pass, sa.; 2nd, Wynne: A lion ramp. ar. armed and langued gu. holding in the dexter paw a rose gu. slipped ppr. seeded or, barbed and leaved vert.