Gunning Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Eltham, co. Kent, bart., afterwards of Horton, co. Northampton). Gu. on a fesse erminois betw. three doves ppr. as many crosses formee per pale of the first and az. Crest—A dove holding in the dexter claw a caduceus ppr. Motto—lmperio regit unus aequo. The first bart., as a Knight of the Bath, bore for Supporters—Dexter, a stag ppr. collared pily; sinister, a fox ppr. collared as the dexter. Motto—lmperio regit unus aequo.
2) (Castle Coote, co. Roscommon; derived from the Gunnings, of Kent; the last male heir in the direct line, General John Gunning, left an only dau. and heiress, m. Major James Plunkett. General Gunning’s sisters were— Mary, Countess of Coventry: Elizabeth, Baroness Hamilton, wife successively of the Dukes of Hamilton and Argyll; and Catherine, m. to Robert Travis, Esq.). Gu. on a fesse erm. betw. three doves ar. ducally crowned or, as many crosses pattee of the first.
3) (cos. Kent, Somerset, and Gloucester; the Kentish branch, of which was the Right Rev. Peter Gunning, Bishop of Ely, who d. unm. in 1684; arms on the Bishop’s Tomb in his Cathedral). Gu. on a fesse betw. three doves ar. as many crosses pattee of the field.
4) (Swainswick, co. Somerset; granted 1765). Gu. on a fesse ar. betw. three doves ppr. a barnacle az. betw. two crosses pattee of the field. Crest—An ostrich holding in the beak a horseshoe all ppr. charged on the breast with a cross pattee, as in the arms.
5) (co. Kent). This family originally bore…three billets in fesse…but on 9 May, 1670, the son of Bishop Gunning obtained from Walker a grant of the following: Gu. on a fesse betw. three doves ar. as many crosses pattee of the field. Crest—A dove ar. supporting with the dexter paw a crozier.