Mackintosh Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
This section has not yet been completed. If you are interested in having your genealogy done, we offer an affordable research servicethat traces your lineage so you can learn more about your ancestors, where they came from, and who you are.
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (that Ilk, and Tor Castle, co. Inverness; claims to be chief of the Clan Chattan; Sir Aeneas Mackintosh, of Mackintosh, created a bart. in 1812, d. s. p. in 1820). Quarterly, 1st, or, a lion ramp. gu.; 2nd, ar. a dexter hand fesseways couped at the wrist and holding a human heart gu.; 3rd, az. a boar’s head couped or; 4th, or, a lymphad, her oars in saltire sa. Crest—A cat-a-mountain saliant guard, ppr. Supporters—Two cats ppr. Motto—Over the crest: Touch not the cat, but a glove.
2) (Kellachie, co. Inverness; Sir James Mackintosh, the distinguished orator and statesman, was representative of this branch). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, or, a lion ramp. gu.; 2nd and 3rd, or, a dexter hand couped fesseways, holding a dagger paleways in chief gu. and a galley, her oars saltireways in base sa. all within a bordure gu. Crest and Motto, as Mackintosh, of that Ilk.
3) (Connadge, co. Inverness). The same quartered coat, within a bordure vair. Crest and Motto, as the former.
4) (Kinrara, co. Inverness). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, or, a lion ramp. gu.; 2nd, or, a chev. sa. betw. a dexter hand couped fesseways, grasping a man’s heart paleways gu. and a lymphad, her oars erect in saltire of the second; 3rd, az. a boar’s head couped or. Crest and Motto, as the former.
5) (Aberarder, co. Inverness). The same Arms as Mackintosh, of that Ilk, all within a bordure gu. charged with eight annulets or. Crest—A cat courant and guard, ppr. Motto, as above.
6) (Keir-Mackintosh, of Dalmigavie, co. Inverness, 1S82). Quarterly, 1st and 4th grand quarters counterquartered; 1st, or a lion ramp. gu.; 2nd, ar. a dexter hand couped fessways grasping a man’s heart paleways gu.; 3rd, az. a boar’s head couped or; 4th, or, a lymphad, oars in saltire aa. all within a bordure gu. charged with eight annulets or, for diff., for Mackintosh; 2nd and 3rd grand quarters, or, a cross engr. sa. betw. four roses gu., for Keir. Crests—On dexter, a cat courant guard, ppr., for Mackintosh; on sinister, a pelican vulning herself ppr. Mottoes— Touch not the cat but a glove; Virescit in arduis virtus.