Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Southwell, co. Notts; descended from Sir John de Southwell, Seneschal of Gascony, 1285, who had a grant from Edward I. of the Castle of Bordeaux for life). Ar. three cinquefoils gu.
2) (Viscount Southwell). Ar. three cinquefoils gu. each charged with six annulets or. Crest—A demi Indian goat ar. armed, eared, and ducally gorged gu. charged on the body with three annulets in pale of the last. Supporters —Two Indian goats ar. armed, eared, and ducally gorged and chained gu. and charged on the body with three annulets in pale of the last. Motto—Nec male notus eques.
3) (Baronde Clifford, now Russell; descended from Robert Southwell, Esq., of Woodrising, co. Norfolk, brother of John Southwell, temp. Edward IV., ancestor of Viscount Southwell: his descendant, Edward South well, m. Hon. Katherine Watson, only dau. of Edward, Viscount Sondes, eldest son of Lewis, first Earl of Rockingham, by Lady Katherine Tufton. his wife, eldest dau. and co-heir of Thomas, sixth Earl of Thanet, fifteenth Baron de Clifford, and had a son and heir, Edward Sodthwell, who became, in 1775, seventeenth Baronde Clifford). Ar. three cinquefoils gu. each charged with five annulets or. Crest—A demi Indian goat ar. armed, ducally gorged, and charged on the body with three annulets in bend gu. Supporters—Dexter, a wyvern gu.; sinister, a monkey ppr. environed round the loins with a collar, chain affixed thereto or. Motto—Le Roy le veut.
4) (St. Faith’s, co. Norfolk; granted 15 Dec. 1568). Same Arms, a border gu.
5) (cos. Essex and Lincoln). Gu. an eagle displ. ar.
6) (co. Kent). Ar. three cinquefoils gu.
7) (co. Norfolk). Ar. three roses gu. seeded or.
8) (co. Suffolk). Ar. three cinquefoils pierced gu. each charged with five bezants.
9) (co. York). Ar. an eagle displ. gu. armed or.
10) (Trafford-Southwell, Honington Hall, co. Lincoln; exemplified to Margaret Elizabeth, eldest dau. of Sigismund Trafford. Esq., of Wroxham Hall, co. Norfolk, and granddau. of Sir Clement Trafford, Knt., of Dunton Hall, co. Lincoln, by Jane, his wife, dau. of Edward Southwell, Esq., of Wisbeach, upon her assuming by royal licence, 1849, the additional surname of Southwell). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, ar. three cinquefoits pierced gu. each charged with fire bezants, for Southwell; 2nd and 3rd, ar. a griffin segreant gu., for Trafford.
11) (granted to Margaret, wife of Sir George Abercrombie Robinson, first bart. of Batt’s House, co. Somerset, and her descendants). Erm. on a bend az. betw. three crosses crosslet gu. as many cinquefoils or, a border engr. of the second.
12) Gu. an eagle displ. ar. a border of. the last.
13) Gu. a wivern volant or.
14) Gu. a wivern displ. or, a chief az.
15) Per pale sa. and ar. (another, ar. and sa.) a fess wavy counterchanged.
16) (Kingston-on-Thames, co. Surrey; Josiah Southwell, Esq., of that place). Ar. a chev. vair betw. three cinquefoils in chief and an annulet in base gu. Crest—A demi goat ar. armed or. gorged with a collar vair, and resting the sinister foot on a cinquefoil also ar. Motto—Exitus acta probat.