Blazons & Genealogy Notes1) (John Bird Somner, D.D., Bishop of Llandaff 1826, of Winchester 1827, of Chester 1828, and Archbishop of Canterbury 1848, d. 1862, eldest son of Rev. Robert Sumner, Vicar of Kenilworth, who was eldest son of Rev. John Sumner, D.D., Canon of Windsor). Erm. two chev. gu. Crest—A lion's head erased ar. ducally gorged or.
2) (Charles Richard Somner, Bishop of Winchester 1827, d. 1869, second son of Rev. Robert Sumner, Vicar of Kenilworth). Same Arms and Crest.
3) (Puttenham Priory, co. Surrey; descended from Richard Sumner, second son of Rev. John Sumner, D.D., Canon of Windsor). Same Arms and Crest.
4) (Hatchland Park, co. Surrey; descended from William Brightwell Sumner, Esq., of the East India Company’s service in the time of Lord Clive, who purchased on his return to England, the estate of Hatchlande, m. Catherine, dau. of John Holme, Esq., of Holme Hill, co, Cumberland; his son and heir, George Sumner, having inherited eventually the Holme property, assumed the additional surname of Holme). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, erm. two chev. or, for Sumner; 2nd and 3rd, ar. a buck trippant gu., for Holme. Crests—1st, Sumner: A lion's head erased ar. ducally crowned or; 2nd, Holme: A hawk, wings elevated ppr.
5) (co. Kent). Quarterly, gu. and vert, on the 1st and 4th, a rose or; on the 2nd and 3rd a fleur-de-lis of the last, a fess erm. Crest—A crane per pale gu. and az. ducally gorged, beaked, and legged or.
6) Erm. on a pile az. a leopard’s face jessant-de-lis or. Crest—An eagle’s head erased or.
7) (Seend, co. Wilts; an ancient family in that co., the heiress of which, sister of Edward Somner, Esq., of Seend, m. Daniel Webb, Esq., of Monckton Farley, same co., and had an only dan. and heiress, Mary, m. 1716, Edward, 8th Duke of Somerset, and brought the Seend and Monckton Farley estates into the ducal family of Seymour. Arms on family monuments in Seend church: Vert, a fesse dancette erm.
8) (cos. Kent and Suffolk). Erm. two chev. gu. Crest—On a mount a peacock ppr.