Benton Family Crest, Coat of Arms and Name History
Don’t know which Coat of Arms is yours?
We can do a genealogical research. Find out the exact history of your family!Learn More
Benton Surname Name Meaning, Origin, History, & Etymology
This popular last name developed as an English habitational name denoting a person who was from a pair of villages in Northumbria, derived from the Old English word bean, meaning “beans”, or beonet, meaning “bent grass”, and tun, meaning “enclosure” or “settlement”. As such it literally translates as “bean farm” or “bent grass enclosure”. Some suggest the name of the village was Long Benton or Little Benton. Alternatively, it may have denoted a person from the hamlet of Benton, in Devonshire. Alternatively, it may have referred to someone who was from Binton, a parish in Stratford-upon-Avon, a place spelled Benintone in the Domesday Book of 1086 AD, which was a survey of England and Wales ordered by William the Conqueror.
Surname Spelling variants
Spelling or names with similar etymologies include Baynton, Bayntun, Beinton, Bentton, and Bennton.
Popularity & Geographic Distribution
The last name Benton ranks 851st in popularity in the United Status as of the 2000 Census. The name ranks particularly high in the following four states: Georgia (284th), South Carolina (314th), North Carolina (358th), and Arkansas (423rd).
The surname Benton frequency/commonness ranks as follows in the British Isles: England (1,276th), Scotland (2,154th), Wales (2,723rd), Ireland (4,236th) and Northern Ireland (3,461st). In England, it ranks highest in county Lincolnshire. In Scotland, the surname ranks highest in Aberdeenshire. In Ireland, it ranks highest in Leinster. In Wales, it ranks highest in Conwy.
The name is also present throughout the remainder English speaking world: Canada (6,504th), New Zealand (1,276th), Australia (1,917th), and South Africa (31,283rd).
Benton Family Tree & Benton Genealogy
Benton from Wiltshire to Connecticut
The earliest known ancestor or progenitor of this family documented to history is a man named Sir Henry be Beinton who was born sometime between 942 and 1002 AD. He had a son named Sir Henry born c. 1007 AD. Sir Henry had a son named Sir John de Beinton who was born c. 1042 AD. Sir John had a son named Sir Ralph who was born c. 1078 AD. Ralph married Eleanor Eyngrove and had a son with her named Ralph. This son Sir Ralph was born c. 1149 AD. He married Maud Obington and had a son with her named Sir Ralph. Sir Ralph de Beinton was born c. 1149 AD. He married Margaret Burwash and had a son with her named Henry. Sir Henry de Beinton was born c. 1185 AD. Sir Henry was a Knight of St. John of Jerusalem and was Knight Marshal of the Household of King Henry II of England. He married Jane Sinton and had two sons with her: Walter and Henry. He was beheaded at Berwick. His son, Sir Walter de Beinton, was born c. 1242 AD. According to Bayntun-History.com, Sir Walter “held 1/5 knight’s fee in the Tockenham estate of Malmesbury Abbey, of Humphrey de Bohun V (d 1275), the Second Earl of Hereford, Constable of England and First Earl of Essex – also known as The Good Earl of Hereford”. He married Alice de Mounscaus and had a son with her named Henry. Henry de Beinton or Bainton was born c. 1262 AD. He married Joan de Sinton and had a son with her named Thomas. Thomas de Bainton or Baynton was born in Wiltshire, England c. 1300 AD. He married Margaret, daughter of Richard de Grimsted and Edith le Tablier, and inherited through this marriage, the Manor and Lordship of Faulston, the first of nine generations to reside at Faulston House. His son, Nicholas de Beinton Sr., also spelled de Benton or Baynton, was born in Faulston Manor, Wiltshire, England c. 1334 AD. He married Joan, daughter of Sir John Roches, Member of Parliament, and had issue with her as follows: Agnes, Alice, Sir John, Ellen Isabel, Nicholas, and Cecily. His sons are discussed as follows:
1) Nicholas Bayntun was born in Wiltshire, England c. 1385 AD. He married Joan de Daundely and had a son with her named Nicholas. This son, Nicolas Bayntun, was born c. 1422 AD. He married Joan de la Roche and had a son with her named John. This son, Sir John Baynton, was born c. 1407. He had a son named John. The son John was born c. 1424 AD. He had a son named Robert. Sir Robert Bayntun was born in 1439. His son, John Bayntun, was born c. 1460. His son, Edward Bayntun was born c. 1480. He married Isabel, and had a son with her, also named Edward. Edward Bayntun was born c. 1517 AD.
2) Sir John Baynton, Knight, was born in Wiltshire c. 1407 AD. He married Joan Dudley and had issue with her as follows: John (Sheriff of Wiltshire), Eleanor, Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, Sit Edward, and Margery. Three of his sons are discussed as follows:
A) Sir Edward Baynton, Knight, Member of Parliament was born in Bronham, Wiltshire, England c. 1492. He married twice: Elizabeth Sulliard and Isabel Stafford. He had the following issue: Bridget, Andrew (Member of Parliament), Jane, Sir Edward, Usrula, Anna, Henry (Member of Parliament), and Francis.
B) John Baynton was born in Faulston House, Wiltshire, England c. 1424 AD. He married twice: Joan de Etchingham and Katherine Stourton. He had the following issue: Sir Robert, Henry, Edward, William, and Jane. His son, Sir Robert Baynton, was born in Fallardston, Wiltshire, England c. 1439 AD. He had a son named John Baynton. John was born in Wiltshire c. 1460 AD. He married Joan Digges and had issue named Richard and John. His son, John Baynton, was born in Epping, Essex, England in 1495 AD. He married Julie and had a son named Humphrey. Humphrey Benton was born in Epping, Essex, England c. 1515 AD. He married Joane, daughter of George Graygoose, and had issue with her as follows: Edward, Joane, Alice, Andrew, Elizabeth, Margaret, John, Thomas, Susan, and Mary Marie. His son, Edward Benton, was born c. 1539 in Essex. He married and had issue as follows: Andrew Sr., Elizabeth, Rachel Joane, Elizabeth, Mathew, John, Edward, and Joane. His son, Andrew Benton St. was born in Epping, Essex, England in 1565 AD. He married Mary and had issue with her as follows: John, Andrew, Edward, Ralph, Susan, Mary, and Marie. His son, Edward Benton, was born c. 1599 AD in Epping, Essex, England. He came to colonial America and settled in Connecticut. His wife was named Alice or Anne, daughter of Daniel Purden. He had the following issue: Daniel, Edward, Andrew, Hannah, Mary, John Tabitha, Elizabeth, Sarah, Zacheus, and Langford.
John Benton of Virginia
Richard Baynton, son of John Baynton and Joan Digges, was born c. 1500 in England. He had a son named Thomas who was born in 1520. Thomas had a son named Nicholas Benton who was born in Cambridge, England in 1555. His son, John Benton, was born in Essex, England in 1578. He married Joane Reading, and had issue with her as follows: Eliza, Francis, Alice, John, Abigail, and Isabella. John and his family came aboard the Guiding Star. His son Francis Benton of Upper Norfolk was born c. 1638 AD. He married Charity Parker(?) and had issue with her as follows: Epaphroditus, John, and Francis II.
Marriages of Bentons
1) Samuell Benton married Anne Price in Cudworth, Warwickshire, England in June 1698
2) Elizabeth Benton married Thomas Cook in Drayton in Hales, Shropshire, England in December 1681
3) Groves Benton married Ellen Allin in St. Mary parish, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire in October 1774
4) Walter Benton married Elisabeth Willcox in Cannock, Staffordshire, England in 1767
5) George Arnold Benton married Alice Grind in Cheshire, England in August 1857
6) Anne Benton married Edward Smith in Coventry, Warwickshire in November 1700
7) Abel Benton married Elizabeth Byrd in Stafford, Staffordshire, in June 1762
8) Thomas Benton married Catharine Langley in Aston, Warwickshire, England in May 1779
9) Polly Benton married William Price in Cumberland, North Carolina in January 1811
10) John S. Benton married Sarah J. Dove in Cumberland, North Carolina in February 1853
11) William F. Benton married Mary Ziegler in Washington, Pennsylvania in October 1892
12) James F. Benton married Julia Hayes in Boone, Arkansas in 1895
Early American and New World Settlers
Some of the earliest settlers in colonial America bearing this name include:
1) Thomas Benton came to Virginia in 1635
2) John Benton came to Virginia in 1635
3) Robert Benton, age 18, came to Virginia aboard the Primrose in 1635
4) Andrew Benton came to Massachusetts in 1639
5) Abigail Benton came to Virginia in 1642
6) Alice Benton came to Virginia in 1642
7) Isabell Benton came to Virginia in 1642
8) Edward Benton came to Connecticut in 1650
9) John Benton came to Virginia in 1650 (from Ireland)
10) Mark Benton came to Maryland in 1652
11) Cunningham Benton came to Virginia in 1654
12) George Benton came to Virginia in 1664
13) Richard Benton came to Maryland in 1676
14) Peter Benton came to Maryland in 1705
15) John Benton came to Virginia in 1715
16) John Benton came to Annapolis, Maryland in 1722
Several thousand members of the Benton family came to the United States through Ellis Island, during the nineteenth century, including:
1) Francis Benton came from Columbia, Scotland aboard the Columbia in 1871
2) Kate Benton came from Kirbymoorside, England aboard the Carmania in 1907
3) George Benton came in 1894 aboard the Richmond Hill in 1894
4) William S. Benton came from Sheffield, England aboard the Adriatic in 1912
5) William Benton came from Richmond, England aboard the Lusitania in 1909
6) Arthur Benton came from Wednesburg aboard the Cedric in 1905
7) James Benton came from Wednesburg aboard the Cedric in 1905
8) James Benton came from Birmingham, England aboard the Lucania in 1905
9) Charlotte Benton came from Kirly, England aboard the Carmania in 1908
10) J.H. Benton came aboard the La Touraine in 1892
11) Thomas Benton came from England aboard the Italy in 1875
12) Henry Benton came from England aboard the City of Paris in 1891
Some of the earliest settlers in Australia bearing this name include:
1) G. Benton, age 60, came to Adelaide aboard the Loch Naw in 1878
2) James Benton, age 26, came to Sydney aboard the Red Gauntlet in 1855
3) Alfred Benton, age 30, came from London, England to Sydney, New South Wales, aboard the Duncan Dunbar in 1857
4) George Benton, age 25, came to Sydney, aboard the Blackbird in 1865
5) Augustus Benton, age 42, came to Melbourne in 1852
6) Charles Benton, age 40, came to Victoria aboard the 1854
7) Archibald Benton, age 16, came to Victoria in 1852
8) Ellen Benton, age 21, came to South Australia aboard the Shackamaxon in 1853
9) John Benton, age 19, came to South Australia aboard the Sumner in 1857
10) Henry Benton, age 22, came to Melbourne in 1859
Some of the earliest settlers in New Zealand bearing this name include:
1) Timothy Benton, age 41, along with his wife Mary, and servants (children?) Eliza and Frances, came to Port Nicholson aboard the London in 1842
2) James Benton, age 26, came aboard the Bolton in 1841
3) Thomas Benton, age 12, came aboard the Gravesend in 1842
4) Mary Benton, age 35, came aboard the Gravesend in 1842
5) Frances Benton, age 12, came aboard the Gravesend in 1842
6) William Bentley, a carpenter by trade, of Leicestershire, came to Otago (Bluff) in 1875
There are hundreds of notable people with the Benton surname. This page will mention a handful. Famous people with this last name include:
1) William Henry Benton (1895-1967) was an English soccer (football) player from Walsall, England who plated from 1920-1936 for teams as such as Walsall, Blackpool, and Rossendale United
2) John Alton Benton (1911-1968) was a professional baseball player born in Noble, Oklahoma, who plated in the MLB from 1934-1952 for four different teams: Philadelphia Athletics, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, and Boston Red Sox
3) Charles Swan Benton (1810-1882) served in the US House of Representatives from New York from 1843-1847, born in Freyburg, Maine
4) Maecenas Eason Benton (1848-1925) served in the US House of Representatives from Missouri from 1897-1905, born in Dyersburg, Tennessee
5) Kenneth Benton (1909-1999) was an English MI6 officer and diplomat born in Wolverhampton England, who also had a second career writing crime and spy thrillers
6) John Keith Benton (1896-1956) was an American theologian and Dean of Vanderbilt University Divinity School from 1939 to 1956, born in Banks, Alabama
7) James Warren Benton (1916-2001) who was an American football player born in Carthage, Arkansas, who plated in the NFL from 1938-1947 for three teams: Cleveland Rams, Chicago Bears, and Los Angeles Rams.
8) William Burnett Benton (1900-1973) was a US Senator for Connecticut from 1949-1953, born in Minneapolis, Minnesota
9) Thomas Hart Benton (1782-1858), nicknamed Old Bullion, was a US Senator from Missouri from 1821-1851 and a member of the US House, born in Hart Mills, North Carolina
10) Morris Fuller Benton (1872-1948) was an American typeface designer born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin who headed the department of the American Type Founders
Benton America Civil War Veterans
There were several soldiers with the last name Benton who served in the American Civil War, including the following:
1) William H. Benton of the 9th Regiment Illinois Cavalry (Union)
2) Thomas I. Benton of the 3rd Regiment Maryland Cavalry (Union)
3) George R. Benton of the 76th Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry (Union)
4) Charles H. Benton of the 17th Regiment Illinois Cavalry (Union)
5) Baxter E. Benton of the 49th Regiment Wisconsin Infantry (Union)
6) William L. Benton of the 18th Regiment Ohio Infantry (Union)
7) William J. Benton of the 1st Regiment Colorado Cavalry (Union)
8) Edward Benton of Hurt’s Battery Alabama Light Artillery (Confederacy)
9) George Benton of the 11th Regiment Missouri Infantry (Confederacy)
10) Benjamin E. Benton of the 1st Regiment Texas Cavalry (Confederacy)
11) James W. Benton of the 25th Regiment South Carolina Infantry (Confederacy)
12) James C. Benton of the 1st Regiment Florida Cavalry (Confederacy)
13) Addison L. Benton of the 64th Regiment Virginia Mounted Infantry (Confederacy)
14) Archibald W. Benton of the 13th Regiment Georgia Infantry(Confederacy)
Benton America Revolution Veterans
There were several soldiers with the last name Benton who served in the Revolutionary War, including the following:
1) Private David Benton of Connecticut
2) Corporal Joel Benton of Vermont
3) Private Azariah Benton of Connecticut
4) Private Caleb Benton of Connecticut
5) Private Chandler Benton of Connecticut
6) Sergeant Edward Benton of Connecticut
7) Private Johnathan Benton of Connecticut
8) Private Johnathan Benton of Massachusetts
9) Joshua Benton of Maryland
10) Captain and 1st Lieutenant Mark Benton of Maryland
11) Private Noah Benton
12) Lieutenant Perry Benton
13) Samuel of Connecticut
14) William Benton of New Hampshire
15) Sergeant Moses Benton of New York
Blazons & Genealogy Notes
1) (Wiltshire). Sa. flve fusils in bend ar. Crest—On a mount vert a lamb carrying a flag az.
2) Sa. (another, az.) a bend ar.
3) Sa. six fusils in bend ar. Crest—A griffin’s head erased ar.
4) Ar. a saltire engr. sa.
5) Chequy or and az.
6) Or, a lion ramp. az. fretty ar.